Whether you’re studying at the opposite side of the country, working offshore or serving in the military, it’s never been easier to see and speak to your loved ones thanks to video messaging apps like Skype.
With a webcam and an internet connection, long distance couples can have face-to-face conversations from thousands of miles away.
Here are our tips for making the most of your Skype dates:
- Close your internet browser. When sitting in front of a computer you need an iron will to stop yourself from checking your email or Facebook. Close your internet browser and focus all your attention on the Skype call.
- Turn off all other distractions. If you were out on a date with your partner in real life would you be constantly texting your friends or watching tv? Of course not. Put away your mobile and turn off anything that will distract you.
- Check your internet speed. An unreliable internet connection can turn your date into a nightmare. If the signal keeps dropping you’ll lose a lot of time, miss pieces of the conversation and both you and your partner will get frustrated. Try sites like speedtest.net to see how well your internet connection is performing.
- Add a little mood lighting. Create a romantic atmosphere by lighting some candles, just don’t make the room too dark – the webcam needs to be able to see you!
- Play an online game together. Make the date more exciting by playing an online game together such as Scrabble. Playing games and being competitive with your partner is a great way of building intimacy– even at a distance.