85% of mums feel they had no idea what they were doing after giving birth to their first child, a new survey by Cussons Mum&Me Voice of Mums has found.
The study of 2,000 mums in the UK also found that 82% of mothers feel constantly worried about their child.
A spokesperson for Cussons Mum&Me Voice of Mums says: ‘Becoming a mum is a massive life-changing event and it’s natural to feel unsure or apprehensive at times.
‘The study results, show that while mums often feel like the only one in the world worrying about a particular thing, more often than not it’s something really common that most mums will have experienced and asked for advice on.’
To get advice, rather than ask friends or relatives, a lot of mums are turning to internet search engines like Google. As part of the research, Cussons found out the most searched for babycare questions.
Top of the list, unsurprisingly, was ‘How can I help my baby to sleep more/better?’. Sleep was a recurring theme with mums also searching for, ‘How long should my baby sleep for?’ and ‘How do I get my child into a bedtime routine?’.
Lack of sleep is a huge issue for many new parents. OnePlusOne research found that 38% of new parents suffer from a lack of sleep and as a result, many of them argue more often.
If you’re about to have your first child together, visit out Becoming A Parent section for advice on how to adjust to life as parents as well as a partner. For further support try our free online course for new parents Changes for Me and Us.
The top 20 most Googled questions
- How can I help my baby to sleep more/better?
- How do I clear a baby’s nose during a cold?
- How can I help a teething baby?
- How do I treat a baby’s cold?
- When should I wean my baby?
- Why is my baby crying?
- How much milk should my baby have?
- Is my baby’s rash normal?
- Is my baby’s poo/nappies normal?
- How long should my baby sleep for?
- What is colic?
- How do I to potty train my child?
- How often should my baby go to the toilet?
- Does my baby have colic?
- How do I get my child into a bedtime routine?
- When should I start potty training?
- My baby is constipated. What can I do?
- When can I start to give my child water to drink?
- When should my child start to crawl?
- When should my child start to walk?