Take the work-life balance pledge
The modern day workplace can feel like a highly pressurised environment. Demanding workloads, long and uncertain hours, plus the general stresses associated with work can easily spill over into family life, with negative consequences.
Research shows that if you are unhappy at work, you’re likely to bring that negativity home with you and your couple relationship can suffer.
The opposite is also true: if you’re unhappy with your relationship, your productivity and efficiency in the workplace can decrease.
One way to start to improve your couple relationship and your workplace relationships is to get a better work-life balance.
It may seem like a difficult task, but even small changes to your weekly routine can make a difference.
Try and do each of the activities in our Work-Life Balance Pledge at least once each week. Make a note of what you’ve managed to achieve and why. Then decide how it could be done differently the following week.
Give it a go and tell us how you get on in the comments below!
The Work-Life Balance Pledge
- I will take a full lunch break away from my desk
- I will text or call my partner during the day
- I will talk to colleagues about something other than work
- I will leave work on time
- I will switch off my work mobile out of office hours
- I won’t check my work email out of office hours
- I will eat a meal with my partner
- I will discuss a topic other than work with my partner
- I will make time to do something together as a couple or as a family (eg. Go for a walk, visit relatives, go to the cinema)
Visit our Work section for more tips on how couples navigate issues relating to work.