Did you know that same-sex partners are happier with the quality of their relationship than heterosexual couples? According to a survey by the Open University, same-sex couples are also more satisfied with their relationship with their partner and their relationship maintenance.
Read on for more interesting facts about same-sex couples:
How many same-sex couples are cohabiting?
- There were 89,000 same-sex couples cohabiting outside of civil partnership in 2013. (Source: ONS)
How many same-sex couples are raising children?
- In 2013, the number of same-sex partners raising children rose to 13,000 (Source: ONS)
- From 2009 to 2010, the number of lesbian couples given IVF doubled from 178 to 417. (Source: The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority)
How many same-sex couples are in a civil partnership?
- In 2011, 6,795 civil partnerships were formed by same-sex couples (Source: ONS)
- The number of civil partnership dissolutions granted in England and Wales increased by 20% to 794 between 2011 and 2012. (Source: ONS)
How many want equal marriage?
- Nine in ten (91%) lesbian, gay and bisexual Britons support equal marriage. (Source: YouGov)
How many people have had same-sex experiences?
- 16% of women and 7% of men aged 16-44 have had a sexual experience of some kind with a member of the same sex. (Source: National Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles Survey)
For more on same-sex relationships read:
Dealing with disapproval as a same-sex couple
Same-sex couples: Becoming a parent
Being in your first same sex relationship