Did you know that in 2006 over 150,000 women became mums for the first time? The changes that occur during this time can have a huge impact on all our relationships, not least on the people closest to us like our partners. This transition is massive for both men and women. Below you will find some statistics about all those other men and women who became mums and dads in the last few years.
How many adoptions are there?
- In 2007, 4,637 adoptions (1)
How many births are there each year?
- There were in total 708,711 births in 2008. (2)
How old are women when they become mums?
- For all first births, the average age of the mother in 2008 was 27.6 (2)
- Of all live births, the average of the mother was 29.4. (2)
How many births are registered to married couples and unmarried parents?
- Of all the live births in 2008 55% were registered to couples who were married, 45% were registered outside of marriage including those registered to couples living together, those registered to couples living separately and those that were solely registered. (2)
What is the percentage of boys and girls born each year?
- 51% of babies born in 2007 were boys and 49% were girls. (2)
- National Statistics. (2009). Marriage, divorce and adoption statistics: Review of the registrar General on marriages and divorces in 2006, and adoptions in 2007, in England and Wales. FM2 no. 34. London: HMSO. Crown copyright material is reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen’s Printer for Scotland.
- National Statistics. (2009). Birth statistics: Births and patterns of family building in England and Wales, 2008. FM1 no. 37. London: HMSO. Crown copyright material is reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen’s Printer for Scotland.